Boston offers many opportunities for residents to relax and enjoy free entertainment or low-cost entertainment. Whether you are interested in taking in a movie or enjoying some excellent opportunities for enjoying live music, here are a few options that you might want to consider.
Free Friday Flicks at the Esplanade
The Free Friday Flicks movie series will once again be coming to the DCR’s Hatch Shell on the Esplanade. Movies planned for this summer include:
- June 24th: Minions
- July 15th: Cinderella
- July 22nd: Inside Out
- July 29th: Star Wars: The Force Awakens
- August 5th: The Good Dinosaur
- August 12th: Jurassic World
- August 19th: Up
- August 28th: Ant-Man
Participants are invited to bring a blanket to spread out on the lawn as they enjoy the free movie. Each movie will start at sundown, which is around 8:30 to 9:00 pm in June and around 8:00 to 8:30 pm in August. Activities will start at around 6:00 pm, however, with giveaways, free food and games.
The Free Friday Flicks movie series is made possible by WBZ NewsRadio 1030 and the Department of Conservation and Recreation (DCR). For more information, contact 617-787-7200.
Saturday and Sunday Jazz Brunch
The Beehive will be offering a Saturday and Sunday Jazz Brunch each weekend throughout the summer months. Taking place from 10:00 am until 3:00 pm, the family-friendly event offers great food and music for participants. The Beehive itself is a popular Bohemian eatery and bar known for its elegant yet funky art space and world-class live music every day of the week. As such, it has been rated as one of the “Top 100 Jazz Clubs in the World” by Downbeat Magazine and “Best of” by Boston Magazine. Throughout the week, the restaurant offers a mix of Jazz, R&B, Blues, Reggae, Electronica, Country, Cabaret, Country and Burlesque music with no cover charge.
Landmarks Orchestra Classical Concert Series
Landmarks Orchestra will be providing regular performances at the Hatch Shell. Planned performances include:
- July 13th at 7:00 pm: Rhapsody in Green. Features Tan Dun’s Secret of Wind and Birds, which mimics the sounds and colors of nature while incorporating birdsong activated by audience members (rain date: July 14th at 7:00 pm).
- July 20th at 7:00 pm: Pictures at an Exhibition. Honors the life of Isabella Stewart Gardner, including highlights from the Gardner Museum collection projected above the orchestra and coordinated with the music (rain date: July 21st at 7:00 pm).
- July 27th at 7:00 pm: Verdi & Valkyries. Features singer Jane Eaglen ad the One City Choir (rain date: July 28th at 7:00 pm)
Other events hosted by the Boston Landmarks Orchestra include a special screening of On the Town on August 3rd and Landmarks Lollapalooza on August 10th. Starting at 7:00 pm, Landmarks Lollapalooza is an open-air festival celebrating grates ranging from Gershwin to Tchaikovsky. The event rain date will be the following day, August 11th.
Of course, these are just a few of the great events taking place in Boston this summer! The reality is that Boston is never short on fun and interesting things to do throughout the year.