If you love lighthouses, you will be happy to know that there are plenty of them in the Boston area that are waiting to be explored. Here is a look at just a few you might want to check out.
Cape Poge Lighthouse
Dating back to 1893, the Cape Poge Lighthouse in Edgartown is part of a larger wildlife refuge. The lighthouse’s light is 63 feet up in the air and can be seen for 9 miles. Tours of the lighthouse are available by reservation.
Originally constructed in 1808, the current Chatham Lighthouse dates back to around 1878. Regular tours are available at the lighthouse, which is located at 37 Main Street in Chatham.
Great Point Lighthouse
Located in Nantucket, the original Great Point Lighthouse dates back to 1797. This original wooden lighthouse was replaced in 1817, with that structure being destroyed by a storm in 1984. The current structure is a replica of the 1817 version of the lighthouse. The lighthouse is open to the public as a part of other tours in the area.
Sometimes called Plymouth Light, the Gurnett Light in Duxbury is the oldest freestanding wooden lighthouse in the country. The current tower dates back to 1843 and the grounds are open to the public.
Considered to be the oldest lighthouse in Cape Cod, construction of the Highland Light was ordered by George Washington. Located at 27 Highland Light Road in North Truro, the current lighthouse dates back to 1857 and is open to the public.
As the name suggests, the Marblehead Lighthouse is located in the city of Marblehead. While the original brick and wood lighthouse was constructed in 1835, the current lighthouse dates back to 1895. The lighthouse, which is one of only a few pyramidal skeleton lighthouses in the country, is occasionally open for tours.
Located at 120 Nauset Light Beach Road in Eastham, the Nauset Lighthouse was moved from the edge of a 60-foot cliff in 1996. The lighthouse is open for tours.
Ned’s Point Lighthouse
With the original lighthouse dating back to the late 1830s, the current Ned’s Point Lighthouse underwent a series of moves in the 1890s and 1900s. While the grounds at 50 Ned’s Point Road in Mattapoisett are open to the public, the lighthouse is not.
Dating back to the 1820s, the Nobska Lighthouse at 233 Nobska Road in Falmouth officially changed ownership from the Coast Guard to the Town of Falmouth in 2016. While the lighthouse is not open to the public, the four-acre preserve around the lighthouse is open.
Plum Island Lighthouse
Located on Harbor Street in Newburyport, Plum Island Lighthouse was originally built in 1788. Also called Newburyport Harbor Light, the current tower was built in 1898. The tower is open for exploration on select dates.
Sometimes referred to as the Old Scituate Lighthouse, the Scituate Lighthouse was originally constructed in 1811. Located at 100 Lighthouse Road in Scituate, the lighthouse was out of commission from 1860 to 1994. The property has been managed by the Scituate Historical Society since 1968.
Three Sisters Lighthouses
Dating back to the 1830s, the Three Sisters Lighthouses are current operated by the National Park Service. The trio of 15-foot lighthouses is located on Cable Road in Eastham.