If you love to eat ice cream and you want to help out a good cause, Boston’s Scooper Bowl may be just what you are looking for.
Taking place for its 33rd year this month, the Scooper Bowl is an annual all-you-can-eat event used to help raise money for the Jimmy Fund. As the fundraising arm of Dana-Farber Institute, http://www.dana-farber.org/ the Jimmy Fund raises money to assist with cancer research. Founded in 1947, the Dana-Farber Cancer Institute treats adults and children with cancer while also conducting research for the best treatments and possible cures. The institute is a major affiliate of Harvard Medical School and is a founding member of Dana-Farber/Harvard Cancer Center. Dana-Farber employs more than 3,680 people and treats nearly 300,000 patients each year.
Originally started in 1983, the Scooper Bowl sprung to life when four local ice cream companies decided to offer all-you-can eat ice cream four a six-hour stretch in an effort to raise money for the Jimmy Fund. The first year, the event brought in $1,000. Since then, the event has been expanded to take place over three days. With eight different ice cream companies participating in the event, it now goes through approximately 20 tons of ice cream each year. Nearly 60,000 people participate in the event each year, which has now raised more than $4.5 million since its start.
As part of the fun, participants also get to vote on their favorite flavors. Winners from past events have included Ben & Jerry’s Chocolate Therapy, SoCo Creamery Salted Caramel, Edy’s Espresso Chip, Baskin-Robbins Lunar Cheesecake and Byrne Dairy Holy Cow. This year, ice cream flavors being offered include:
- Baskin-Robbins: First Class Camouflage, Heath Bar Crunch, Red Velvet, Snacknado, Tropical Vacation Frozen Yogurt and York Peppermint Pattie.
- Ben & Jerry’s: The Tonight Dough, Save Our Swirled, Cherry Garcia and Milk & Cookies
- Breyer’s: Natural Vanilla, Chocolate, Strawberry and Mint Chocolate Chip
- Delish by Walgreens: Butter Pecan, Moose Tracks, Vanilla and Cookies & Cream
- Edy’s: French Vanilla, Rocky Road, Coffee and Black Cherry
- Friendly’s: Celebration Ice Cream Cake, Hunka Chunka PB Fudge, Cookies ‘N Cream and Black Raspberry
- Hood: Jelly Donut, Fried Ice Cream, Coffee Cookies ‘N Cream, Orange Sherbet, Lactaid Salted Caramel Chip Ice Cream
- Orange Leaf Frozen Yogurt: Wedding Cake, Brownie Batter, Salted Caramel, Pistachio, Peach Greek, Daily Free Pink Lemonade
- Yuengling’s Ice Cream: Black & Tan, Vanilla, Sea Salt Caramel Swirl, Espresso Chocolate Chip, Caramel Popcorn
Taking place June 2nd through the 4th at City Hall Plaza in the Government Center area of Boston, ice cream and frozen yogurt will be served from noon until 8:00 pm. Wednesday’s times are extended until 10:00 pm. Adult tickets are $10 each while child passes are $5. You can also purchases a Scooper Pass for $20. This pass allows you to enter the event on three separate occasions. You can either choose to revisit multiple times on the same day, or you can use the pass to enter the event on all three event days.