With a commitment to helping students reach their full intellectual, social, physical and emotional potential, Somerville Community Schools offers more to Somerville residents than just quality schools. In fact, the district also focuses on providing after-school programming to further enrich students after the school day has ended. Thanks to great facilities such as the Kennedy Swimming Pool, the district is also able to reach students and their families throughout the summer months as well.
Exploring Somerville Schools
The Somerville Public Schools is comprised of several different schools. These include:
- Capuano Early Childhood Center (PK-K)
- Albert F. Argenziano School (PK-8)
- Arthur D. Healey School (PK-8)
- West Somerville Neighborhood School (PK-8)
- Winter Hill Community Innovation School (PK-8)
- Benjamin G. Brown School (K-5)
- East Somerville Community School (K-8)
- John F. Kennedy School (K-8)
- Next Wave/Full Circle Schools (6-12)
- Somerville High School (9-12)
Serving more than 5,000 students from Pre-Kindergarten through to 12th grade, Somerville Public Schools is one of the top urban districts in the state. Each of its schools offers its own culture and character, ensuring there is a good fit for every student.
After School and Vacation Programming
At Somerville, the opportunities for enrichment do not end when school lets out. In fact, the district offers a number of programs for after school and even on days when school is not normally in session. Some of these programs include:
- Afterschool programming for Pre-Kindergarten students
- Afterschool programming and enrichment clubs for students in Kindergarten through sixth grade.
- Vacation Camps during the school year at John F. Kennedy School
- Summer Adventure Camp at Arthur D. Healey School
All of the after-school programming in Somerville is staffed by a core team that consists of a Site Coordinator, a Lead Teacher and Assistant Teachers. Many of the staff members are also multilingual. Examples of afterschool enrichment clubs available within the district include:
- Big Builders
- Community Service
- Hip Hop Dance
- Martial Arts
- Rock Climbing
- World Languages
By providing a variety of enrichment programs, students are kept engaged in the after school hours in ways that are unique from the regular school day. Not only do these programs help families with providing after-school childcare, but they also help students extend the curriculum even further in a fun and new ways while also making new friends.
Kennedy Swimming Pool
Located at 5 Cherry Street in Somerville, the Kennedy Swimming Pool also offers unique programming opportunities for students and their parents. During the summer months, the pool offers opportunities for swim lessons for everyone ranging from 6 months old to adult. The pool is also available for family swim and for lap swimming. Lap swim costs for Somerville residents are as follows:
- Children (7-17): $3
- Seniors (60+): $3
- Adults (afternoon/evening): $4
- Adults (MWF morning): $5
The pool is also open to non-residents at a cost of $1 more. For Family Swim, the cost is $1 for children and seniors or $3 for adults. Non-residents are once again charged a dollar extra. Summer passes are also available for those who want to swim more frequently at a reduced cost.