The Arnold Arboretum is designed by James Arnold, who left it to the Harvard University upon his death. Today, it stands at about 265 acres in size, home to more than 4,000 species of trees, and is maintain by the Harvard’s School of Botany. It is a botanical garden where students can learn, and a place where city dwellers can enjoy. The Arboretum is indeed special. It also comes with a Jamaica Pond, which adds to the peaceful atmosphere of the place.
Hours and Service
The Arnold Arboretum is open from sunrise to sunset, every day of the year. There is no admission fee, but donations are highly appreciated. The Hunnewell Building restrooms are available for the visitors on weekdays from 9 am until the closing time, but close on holidays. Aside from that, there is also a Visitor Center, still located on the Hunnewell Building. The services offered at the center are the following:
- Personal assistance to make your visit more meaningful
- Information with regards to membership
- Maps and postcards
- A rotating selection of library books available for browsing
- Seasonal art exhibits
- Activities for the kids
Arboretum Rules to Protect the Plants
The Arnold Arboretum is intended for the study of different species of plants and the passive appreciation of nature. Any activity done in its grounds must be conducted in a manner that does not impact or deter the public’s enjoyment of the garden. Here are the rules that groups and individuals must follow.
- Picking or destroying any plant in the garden is highly prohibited.
- Climbing trees is not allowed, nor walking in plant beds and similar areas.
- Dogs must have a leash at all times. Owners are responsible for picking up after the dogs’ wastes.
- Motor vehicles will not be allowed within the premises, unless there is a special permit for people who have mobility issues.
- Picnics, fires and barbecues are not allowed.
- Organized group sports, as well as commercial film crews are also not allowed.
- Bicycles are allowed, but only on the paved paths.
To keep the beauty of the Arnold Arboretum garden, all visitors must follow the rules and guidelines. To learn more about this beautiful garden, please do visit the official website of the garden, which will be stated later on.
- Location: 125 Arborway, Jamaica Plain, MA
- Contact No.: 617-524-1718
- Visitor Center Hours of Operation: Mon to Fri from 9 am to 4 pm, Sat from 10 am to 4 pm, Sun from noon to 4 pm
- Official Website: www.arboretum.harvard.edu
The Arnold Arboretum garden is a special place, maintained by the Harvard University. This is unlike any other garden in the world. If you would like to experience its beauty, get in touch with Mother Nature, then we highly encourage you to visit Arboretum.
███▓▒░░. Ed Greable Realtor .░░▒▓███Interested in buying or selling real estate in Greater Boston area? Ed Greable will help you buy and sell homes in Somerville, Arlington, Cambridge & Medford. Click Here or call Ed @ (617) 905-9128